- Cognitive Science
- Philosophy of Psychology
- Philosophy of Mind
- (non-monotonic) Logic
My thesis is concerned with analysing and empirically investigating possibilities of representing prototype concepts with frames as a contribution to the extension of frame theory developed in the CRC991 “The structure of representations in language, cognition and science”, as well as to the general research questions on the format of mental representations or “constituents of thoughts”, a topic which is extensively discussed in cognitive science.
To integrate prototype frames into the frame theory developed in the CRC991, different ways to determine the weights in prototype frames will be discussed. My thesis will focus on weighting attributes and values with conditional probabilities and explore applications of the resulting kind of prototype frames, like the possibility to use them as the basic components in a model of conceptual combination and probabilistic reasoning, with a special focus on the incorporation of constraints between attributes and values, and a possible enrichment with contextual information and background knowledge.
- Dapprich, J. P., Schuster, A. (2016): Philosophy and Logic of Quantum Physics, Reihe: Philosophische Grundlagen der Wissenschaften und ihrer Anwendungen, G. Schurz (Hrsg.), Peter Lang, Frankfurt am Main.
- 2018 (with Leda Berio) "Meaning coordination with mentalised frames", Roots of Pragmasemantics Workshop, Szklarska Poręba, Poland.
- 2018 (with Corina Strößner, Peter Sutton, Henk Zeevat): “Stochastic frames”, Uncertainty in Meaning and Representation in Linguistics and Philosophy Workshop, Jelenia Góra, Poland.
- 2017 (with Leda Berio): “Mentalised prototype frames”, PLM4 - Fourth Philosophy of Language and Mind Conference, Bochum, Germany.
- 2017 (with Corina Strößner): “Prototype frames”, Probabilistic Approaches to (Prototype) Concepts Workshop, SOPHiA 2017, Salzburg, Austria.
- 2017 “Regaining Meaning Stability via Evolutionary Prototype Frames”, European Society for Philosophy and Psychology 2017, Hertfordshire, UK.
- 2017 (with Leda Berio) "Mentalised prototypes", Roots of Pragmasemantics Workshop, Szklarska Poręba, Polen.
- 2017 "Ways to approach diagnosticity", Theoretical Philosophy Research Seminar, Heinrich-Heine-University Düsseldorf
- 2016 "Explaining Fuzzy Concepts with Prototype Frames", SOPhiA 2016, Salzburg
- 2016 (with Corina Strößner) "Prototype Frames: Theory and Experiment", Theoretical Philosophy Research Seminar, Heinrich-Heine-University Düsseldorf, Germany.
- 2015 “Quantum-logical arguments against the distributive law and their defeaters”, SOPhiA 2015, Salzburg, Austria.
- 2014 „Quantenlogik und ihr Verhältnis zur klassischen Logik”, Theoretical Philosophy Research Seminar, Heinrich-Heine-University, Düsseldorf, Germany.